Sunday, March 30, 2008

New Love


My how time flies etc etc. Summer is coming to an end but the glorious weather continues, it is so dry and warm and humid that the veggies are growing wonderfully, bananas fruiting and I have even harvested grapes, which I said I was determined to do this year!


The new French chocolatier at Bennetts of Mangawhai liked my figs - fresh and candied and he made a delicious jam with samples I took him so next year he may make more.


My stories are appearing at greater frequency in Mangawhai Focus and on the green pages of the Northern Advocate. I must say, I am incensed over plastics. Stop letting them get into wild places, y'all. Collect them from beaches and parks, please. Birds are swallowing them and it is a bad thing. We do not need all the packaging, just because we know how to make it. More biodegradable plastics are being manufactured, so ask for them.


Now to my new love...my gorgeous looking and sounding, hand-made in Tauranga by Ian Milne, ukulele. It is rounded as you see in the picture but is not a banjo uke because it does not have a skin. Ian called them banjoleles when he made them for a primary school, but they are ukuleles...four strings...makes real music.


There are 10 of us playing together now and we are having fun! If you want to know more about what can be done with a uke (the sort of sound to which we aspire) follow this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k to a most marvellous version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on uke.


I have lots of deadlines to day so must away. In my mind I am well organised, have a tidy house and all my stories written on time, the garden is in order and I'm in touch with all my friends. I'm part way there, and having loads of fun with the rest of everything.


Last thought, I really enjoyed watching the Ballistic Blondes skydiving at the One Tree Point Primary School Gala Day. Three sky divers had a ball and impressed the masses who looked up in awe!

No comments: