Friday, April 29, 2011

Off to Wellington

This week, while Jorge looks after the house and property, I'm off to Wellington for a working holiday.  During the day I'll work on my trusty laptop and at night, thanks to my lovely pseudo-daughter Sarah Crowe, I'll be attending and reviewing comedy events at the 2011 comedy festival which she is managing!
Check www.comedyfestival.co.nz to see the line up.  I'm flying away today and have an hour to pack so must away.

Yesterday I (and 150 other volunteers) was at a Northland Civil Defence workshopwhere two of our NZ Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) heroes who have been risking their lives in Christchurch and Japan spoke... Above, second from left is Mike Harwood ("RINGO" who I've been in a helicopter with!) and Colin Wright in the dark USAR suits - good on you two, you are heroes! On the far left is Mike Lister, NZ Fire Service Area Commander for Whangarei-Kaipara District and far right is Allan Kerrisk NZ Fire Service Area Commander for the Far North, Muri Whenua.  I work with these guys at Northland Region. All these emergency services staff and volunteers are heroes, really! Who do you call when you need help?

I'm thinking of the victims of the tornadoes in the midwestern US and how I used to think it was weird that my mother was afraid of wind and lightening. Cripes, I now understand why and why they had an underground hiding place stocked with preserves. I'm concerned about Anne Jones who may be in Tennessee, are you ok?

Also, last week my friend Martha's dad died and recently my friend Michele's dad... last year Jackie and Marie's dad and Charles's mum, and Libby's mum... and it makes me feel sad not to have spent more time with all of you and your wonderful parents.

Love you all,
S

1 comment:

Sandra said...

How cool is this?